Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Tatonka

I'm not very good at making jewelry for men. I admit, I've only tried once to make something for my boyfriend and it ended in frustration and tears. But a friend who is dear to me is moving away at the end of the week so I wanted to make something for him.

At work, a select few of us have given each other code names. His is Tatonka (which means "buffalo"). I think he chose wisely and I accepted it as soon as I heard it. It fits him rather well. The buffalo is a strong animal with a deep meaning. The buffalo has come to symbolize strength, gratitude, stability, and prosperity. I found a silver charm and strung it on a simple piece of black leather. I added two stones, black onyx and brecciated jasper.

His mother turned me on to a wonderful book describing the power of stones and those two are protection stones. More importantly, the jasper will help keep him grounded which is important because a lot of people become jaded or lose track of what is important when chasing the dream he is going after. I don't want that to happen to him.


I made this bracelet for him as well. More black onyx. I don't know if he will wear it or if it will even fit (man hands are so much bigger than women hands) but I thought I'd give it to him anyway and if he needs it to be bigger, I can change it.

I'm hoping to give him his present today. I'm hoping he will like it. I wish he wouldn't move away because he and I have such great conversations and he is such a supportive friend. He inspires me quite a bit when it comes to my art. I want him to succeed. I hope we stay friends in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment