Thursday, November 3, 2011

NaBloPoMo: Music and Writing

This month is National Blog Post Month. The goal is to write a blog post every day! I love it!

Today's prompt from NaBloPoMo is:
Thursday, November 3, 2011
Can you listen to music and write? What song did you hear today?

Music is such a powerful force. Even if the music/song is in another language, one can form an opinion instantly about that piece- love, hate, indifferent... It's amazing.

When it comes to writing, if something is playing, it has to be instrumental or in a different language for me to write without becoming distracted. On a deeper level, the music cannot be depressing or too intense. For example, I like listening to some Sufi or Hindu music while I write. But some of the chanting can be a bit depressing. On the same note, the Harry Potter soundtrack can also keeps me from writing because some of the pieces are dark... beautiful, but dark.
 
Today, I worked while listening to an audio book. I can immerse myself in jewelry making or design better when there is an audio book playing. Better than with music. I'm not sure why that is. Some part of my brain is listening to the story while another part is focusing on my hands wrapping wire or adjusting fonts on the computer. It's interesting because if I were listening to music, I stop frequently and have to look at who is playing or even dance.

Now, when it comes to drawing, I can listen to anything- music, audio book... a lecture. I think that comes from doodling in class when I was bored...

Sometimes, however, silence is what I need most. When I can't focus on my task or when my head starts to pound, I turn the iPod off and just close my eyes and focus on my breathing and heart beats.

That is a kind of music itself, I think. The music of someone's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment