Monday, February 15, 2010

Handmade Watercolor Sketchbook

For Valentine's Day, I made my boyfriend a watercolor sketchbook. On my last birthday, I taught myself how to bind books. Well, really, I bought myself a book and some simple tools and started binding.

Now, there is some debate as to whether girls should get their significant others presents on Valentine's Day. At work on the 13th, some guys were telling me they weren't expecting anything, others said that they thought that if they were getting something for their girl, their girl should get them something too, some girls were saying that its a holiday for themselves and we do a lot for men, and other girls said that of course we should. They deserve love presents just as much as we do.

I have been with my boyfriend for over a year and a half. He has stuck by me and supported me when I had to leave school and was forced to start supporting myself. He's my sounding board for all my creative endeavors and can take away my bad days with his laughter and a hug. I feel very lucky to have found someone like him so young and hope that we continue to walk through life together.

My boyfriend is a watercolor artist. And, just like me, he can never have too many sketchbooks. I made this one pretty small (4"x6") so he could carry it with him and paint wherever. I covered it with blue paper as his favorite color is blue. The image next to the image of the sketchbook is of the detail of the paper I used for the covering. And it worked out very nicely. I hope its as durable as book cloth.



My boyfriend got me "The Art of Princess and the Frog." It's my second favorite Disney movie ("Beauty and the Beast" being first). I have such a great respect for animators. I remember watching the animation majors at LCAD and the work they put in for just a few seconds of animation... its intense. And I am a huge fan of behind the scenes details and the process artists go through to get to their finished piece. LOVE the book.

We had a wonderful dinner at Mimi's Cafe and watched "Wolfman," which made me jump and cover my ears because I was scared (I'm told that's a little odd because most people cover their eyes). I hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

  1. Great gifts! I love the sketch book. I use to have the art of disney book when I was a kid. i use to dream of being an animator when I was little

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sketch book is beautiful! That's a great gift.

    ReplyDelete