Monday, April 16, 2012

Inspired

I ADORE working with wire. I love wrapping it and hammering it. I love the feel of the spool in my hands and the snap sound it makes when you cut it (or it breaks from over working/pulling too hard).

I've taken to wire wrapping Czech glass beads and lucite flowers. The above will become necklaces tomorrow (I said that yesterday on Instagram but I mean it today... I think :P). And I'm hoping to get started on the sketches below.

I like the wire wrapped beauty in the upper right hand corner of this sketch. I'll be practicing my asymmetry skills here.

This one will be a lariat. I need to get my little hands on a crystal or maybe even a large acrylic drop. Something dramatic for this necklace.

I've been sketching a lot of designs lately. Not just of wire workings but also of future components/beads I want to try making. YEP! That's right! I'm saving up to buy a soldering kit and make my own workstation. I'm not entirely sure yet what I need but it has to be portable because I have a feeling I'll be doing my work in the backyard as my room doesn't have very good ventilation.

SO! To get started, I'm going to try my hand at making some little components. The lovely Keristen Giles, one of my bloggy heroes (along with Shannon LeVart, Marie Dodd... so many others), has posted a little tutorial on how to make your own coil crimp ends. Since I LOATHE the ones they offer at craft stores, I'm going to try my hand at making some. Check out her post here.

Wish me luck, people. I've never had luck with these blasted crimp ends but Keirsten makes it seem easy-peasy. Good God, I hope so. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment